Wednesday, May 14, 2014

The Penn Valley Park Plein Air Fest Experience - Part 3

Continued from part 2.

Saturday was the final day of the Penn Valley Park Plein Air Fest. I started the morning early, putting some finishing touches on my painting of the downtown skyline.
"KC Dawn" (oil on canvas, 16"x12")
Saturday's quick paint was scheduled for noon at the same location, so I took a break and came back at around 11:30. I was exhausted from yesterday's sunburn, so I found a nice shady spot where I could sit. I was really drawn to the tree that overlooked the lake from my previous painting that day, and I liked it even better in the midday sun. I decided to keep it simple and focus only on the tree.
Photo courtesy of Saunders Fine Arts.
Photo courtesy of Saunders Fine Arts.
Photo courtesy of Saunders Fine Arts.
This one just flowed. I was finished in under an hour, and it was one of my favorites from the weekend. A very simple painting, but for me it captured the feeling of the heat of the day, with the tree offering the comfort of shade. Exactly what I needed.

Photo courtesy of Saunders Fine Arts.
Photo courtesy of Saunders Fine Arts.
 The judging began at 2pm, and I was glad to see the win go to Nyle Gordon. Every one of his paintings that weekend was excellent, but this one went beyond.
Judging with Phil Starke.
Nyle Gordon's winning piece.
Immediately following the quick paint, the sky darkened and it looked like we were in for a tremendous storm. Kimberly and I headed off for a relaxing lunch before dropping off my finished works at Buttonwood Artspace for the evening Gala.

Artists, friends and patrons gathered at 7pm to view all of the finished works, and around 8pm the overall winners of the show were announced. Unexpectedly, I won Best of Show for my piece "Painting the Pioneer Mother" which I had created during the Thursday evening quick paint. It was a huge honor and a big surprise.

Best of Show, "Painting the Pioneer Mother" (oil on caves, 16"x12"). Photo courtesy of Saunders Fine Arts.
Phil Starke presenting the Best of Show award. Photo courtesy of Saunders Fine Arts.
"Pioneer Mother at Sundown" (oil on canvas, 14"x18"). Photo courtesy of Saunders Fine Arts.